In January 2021, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III directed a zero-based review (ZBR) of all DoD advisory committees, to include any committees not subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act, to ensure that committee efforts are focused on our most pressing strategic priorities and the National Defense Strategy. The ZBR Board has completed its work, presented their recommendations, and the Department is poised for many of the advisory committees to resume their essential work.
The Department’s boards and committees have been and will continue to be a valuable resource as we defend the nation, succeed through teamwork and take care of our people. Secretary Austin looks forward to working with many of these bodies personally and expects other Department officials to do the same.
After careful consideration of the recommendations resulting from the ZBR, Secretary Austin has approved the following advisory committees for resumption of operations. The recommendations for other boards are still under consideration, and we will announce the results for more advisory committees in coming weeks.
- Defense Business Board
- Defense Policy Board
- Defense Health Board
- DoD Board of Actuaries
- Medicare-Eligible Board of Advisors
- Defense Science Board
- Defense Advisory Committee on Investigation, Prosecution, and Defense of Sexual Assault in the Armed Forces
- Uniform Formulary Beneficiary Advisory Panel
- Inland Waterways Users Board
- DoD Wage Committee
- Board on Coastal Engineering Research
- Marine Corps University Board of Visitors
- Department of the Air Force Scientific Advisory Board
- U.S. Strategic Command Strategic Advisory Group
- Army Science Board
- Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services