Where: All lanes of Missouri Route 171 and Jasper County Route YY at Missouri Route 96 in Carl Junction
When: Beginning 8 a.m., Thursday, September 28 for up to 60 days
What: Contractor crews will CLOSE all lanes of Route 171 and Route YY at Route 96 as part of a project to build a roundabout and make intersection safety improvements
- All lanes of Route 171 and Route YY CLOSED at Route 96 for up to 60 days
- Drivers will have access to driveways and entrances on either end of the closure but will not be able to drive through the work zone
- Drivers will be directed to signed detour using Missouri Route 43, Jasper County Routes H, M and Z
- Drivers urged to find alternate routes to avoid the work zone
Weather and/or scheduling conflicts could alter the work schedule.
Project Details: Contractor crews will relocate the intersection at Missouri Route 171/Route 96 and Jasper County Route YY to the east and convert the intersection to a multi-lane roundabout. In addition, an approximately 26-mile stretch of Route 171 between the Missouri/Kansas state line and I-49 will be resurfaced.
The existing intersection is located immediately adjacent to the Kansas City Southern (KCS) railroad tracks which parallel Missouri Route 171. Vehicles, especially large semis and farm equipment, approaching from the west on Jasper County Route YY often must sit across the railroad tracks while waiting for a gap in traffic on Route 171. The project will increase the distance between the railroad tracks and Route 171, improving safety.
- Prime contractor: APAC-Central Inc., Springfield
- Total construction costs: $9.8 million
- Contract completion date: December 15, 2021
(For more information, call MoDOT in Springfield at 417-895-7600 or visit www.modot.org/southwest)
(Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down)