NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Disaster unemployment benefits and free legal assistance are two programs offered by FEMA and partners to assist disaster survivors with losses from the Aug. 21 severe storms and flooding in federally designated counties of Dickson, Hickman, Houston and Humphreys. 

Federally supported disaster unemployment insurance is available for those who lost work due to the storms and who are not eligible for regular state unemployment benefits. This enables those who are self-employed to recover more quickly from their disaster losses. Workers whose employment was impacted by storms in the designated counties may apply online for DUA through They may also call 877-813-0950 to apply by phone.

Residents with legal issues due to the storms may call 844-HELP4TN (844-435-7486). Callers may get free information about contracts for repair or rebuilding, landlord/tenant issues, replacement of documents and other disaster-related questions. Callers should leave a voicemail message and an attorney will return the call.

Attorneys are also available to answer questions online at Additionally, survivors can access information about their rights and resources, including links to upcoming legal clinics, FEMA information, and local resources at Disaster legal services are authorized by FEMA in cooperation with the Tennessee Bar Association and the Tennessee Alliance for Legal Services.

Survivors in the affected counties who have not already done so should apply now for FEMA assistance in one of the following ways by October 25, 2021.

  • Online through
  • Download the FEMA app to a smartphone or tablet.
  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585). Because of the recent hurricane and other severe storms, flooding and fires across the country, wait times may be long. Please be patient. The Helpline is your go-to resource for answers to questions about your application or to update FEMA on your current housing situation. Lines are open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, seven days a week. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service.
  • Owners and Renters may also be eligible for temporary rental assistance from FEMA if their homes were made unsafe or uninhabitable by the storms.

For more information on Tennessee’s disaster recovery, visit and You may also follow FEMA on and Twitter @FEMARegion4

Source link

Author: Editor
Editor represents multiple online news sites, including STL.News, RSSNews.Press and more. We believe that our "direct source news" concept helps provide accurate information to the public without bias. We want to help improve technology so the news is presented as it was intended to be.