Effective immediately, Canada is imposing sanctions against Nicaraguan individuals in response to ongoing human rights violations being committed in Nicaragua.
The Special Economic Measures (Nicaragua) Regulations impose on listed persons a prohibition on any transaction (effectively, an asset freeze) by prohibiting persons in Canada, and Canadians outside of Canada, from engaging in any activity related to any property of these listed persons or providing financial or related services to them. The individuals listed in the schedule to the regulations are also rendered inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
The specific prohibitions are set out in the regulations.
The names of the individuals that have been added to the schedule of these regulations are the following:
- Alba Luz RAMOS Vanegas
- Bayardo ARCE Castaño
- Luis Angel MONTENEGRO Espinoza
- Mohamed LASHTAR
- Sadrach ZELEDÓN Rocha
- Leonidas Nicolás CENTENO Rivera
- Francisco Ramón VALENZUELA Blandon
- José Adrián CHAVARRÍA Montenegro
- Rodolfo Francisco LÓPEZ Guitiérrez
- José Antonio CASTAÑEDA Méndez
- Salvador MANSELL Castrillo