ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – A Missouri Department of Transportation project to place a new overlay, repair substructure elements, and replace guardrail at the Pony Express Bridges over the Missouri River on U.S. Route 36 continues in St. Joseph.
Contractors from Comanche Construction Inc., working with MoDOT, began the rehabilitation project in late January. Crews are preparing to move into the next phase of construction which will involve:
- NOW – Moving the eastbound bridge barrier to prepare for a traffic shift
- Tomorrow, Tuesday, July 18 – Shifting eastbound traffic from the passing to driving lane
- Wednesday, July 19 – Reopen the ramp from eastbound U.S. Route 36 to Route 759 (Stockyards Expressway)
- Monday, Aug. 1 –
- Shifting westbound traffic from the passing to driving lane
- Closing both westbound U.S. Route 36 and Stockyards Expressway on/off ramps
The 12-foot width restriction will remain in place and motorists may experience delays for the duration of the project. All construction and closures are scheduled to be complete on or before Dec. 1, 2022.
All work is weather-permitting, and schedules are subject to change.
MoDOT asks drivers to work with us by always buckling up, keeping your phone down, slowing down and moving over in work zones. Know before you go and check what work zones you might encounter at traveler.modot.org.
Also at modot.org, sign up online for work zone updates. Information is also available 24/7 at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or via social media.
Take the Challenge! Buckle Up/Phone Down
Traveler Information Map