Breaking News

Despite 13 citations since 2015, investigations into two meat cutters’ amputation injuries find Fiesta Mart again failed to protect employees Ohio nursery owner debarred from foreign labor visa program after US Department of Labor investigation finds repeated violations Calexico Agents Seize 106 Pounds of Meth During Vehicle Stop Profits over people: Federal safety inspectors find 3 more Dollar General stores habitually disregarding workplace safety, risking employees’ lives Del Rio Sector Agents Encounter Multiple Large Groups of Migrants Over Weekend GSK completes acquisition of Affinivax, Inc. Administrator Samantha Power’s Meeting with UNICEF Executive Director Cathy Russell | Readout Investigation recovers $54K in back wages for 62 hospice care workers at two Puerto Rico centers that incorrectly paid them as volunteers

CHICAGO – On August 1, FEMA announced the city of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., was included in the pre-selection of  subapplicants to receive a portion of $160M in funding through the Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) program to assist communities across the nation enhance climate and disaster resiliency. The city’s proposed $200K project would research and update current and future anticipated water flows, including watershed boundaries and overflow routes, review the impacts of new floodplain elevations on infrastructure and emergency access, and evaluate potential risk-reduction strategies with local stakeholders to strengthen the overall resilience of Bloomfield Hills. The information collected will be used to prepare a future grant funding application to implement projects that reduce disaster risks in the community.

These selection announcements are not awards; rather, it’s a decision on the status of all subapplications for this grant cycle. FEMA will work with applicants “Identified for Further Review” to conduct programmatic reviews before making a final award decision for funding. 

“FEMA’s Flood Mitigation Assistance program or FMA seeks to reduce or eliminate the risk of repetitive flood damage across the nation,” said Tom Sivak, regional administrator, FEMA Region 5. “The data collected by Bloomfield Hills officials will help ensure future mitigation projects are effective in protecting the city from the dangers of our changing climate and other disasters risks they face in the future.”

As part of FEMA’s commitment to the Justice40 initiative to instill equity as a foundation of emergency management, FEMA is prioritizing at least 40% of the overall benefits of climate, clean energy, affordable and sustainable housing, clean water and other investments to disadvantaged communities that are marginalized, overburdened, and underserved. This year, FEMA established a baseline within this grant program to achieve that goal and will continue to build on the work we have done to ensure equitable outcomes.

FEMA’s FMA program funds help states and localities reduce the risks associated with flooding through projects such as property acquisition, structure elevation, and flood planning. Through FMA, FEMA would pay 75% eligible project costs. The remaining 25% of the project cost would be provided by the state or local community. To learn more about FEMA’s FMA program, visit Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Grant |

# # #

FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Source link